Thursday, June 17, 2010

Original #4 & Proposal


This is my original based on the Rhys Owens piece I copied. Done in Photoshop and Illustrator.
Angry shark is angry:





Below are the three main pictures I used in collaboration.



I selected each of them and then free transformed, warped, rotated, and masked them to get the best fit I could.



Next, I desaturated everything except the shark's mouth. I selected the tie, added a layer of flat, red color on top then Overlayed it. I applied the 8-layer cutout filter to everything and then faded them to 80%. I made the background in Illustrator using the gradient mesh tool and then brought it over. I added a grainy effect on the jacket by adding gray areas with my brush tool and then applying a gaussian blur, film grain filter, and then played around with the levels until I thought it looked right.



Last, I added the dark, gray border and logo complete with drop shadow and bullet wound. I got the logo from the internet and drew my version of a bullet hole with the brush tool (looked at pictures on the Internet for reference). Also added a background texture with my brush tool, lowered the opacity to 15% and applied a color dodge but it might not be shown in this screenshot.


I had a lot of fun with this study and original. I've always enjoyed merging different elements from different photos together but doing so eloquently to create an actual character can sometimes be a challenge. I also did a lot of trial and error with grain/blur filters and layer modes which helped me really get a feel for what effect will come of doing something without actually having to test it out and see.



Proposal:
I've decided to do the tutorial. I think the easiest way to master something is by teaching it to someone else. It forces you to really think about what you're doing and saying, and then having to actually explain the motives behind something can really give you a better understanding of the process instead of just going through the motions. I've never done a tutorial before so please don't expect flawlessness, but I'm going to do my best to explain what exactly I'm doing and why.

3 comments:

  1. Nice! and timely too.
    Since you are not showing hands/fins for the shark I think that the rifle might work better in a vertical position like it is resting under his arm with the barrel leaning up against the shoulder. I would also go back into your visual reference and find a photo of a shark head rather than an illustration of a shark head. It is easier to justify appropriating imagery if it is from photo to illustration rather than from illustration to illustration. That is by no means a justifiable legal argument, but my sense is that it is one more step removed from copyright dangers. It sure helps to be a student, but we need to have good habits.
    I think the tutorial will work well. We learn so much more when we have to teach something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call, I thought that gun looked quite awkward! And I will definitely do that in regards to the reference and continue to try and be a lot more careful in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it. can't stop laughing (eventhough the oil spilling out is not a funny matter)

    ReplyDelete