Saturday, June 12, 2010

Original #3


Okay, I'm back.

Here is the original I did based on my Matei Apostolescu master study. I decided to go a little bit different route than the study. Instead of leaving most of the picture white, I have covered this entire piece in light color and I decided that I'd make the content a little bit more realistic (but still maintained some of the crazy, line work that Apostolescu incorporates into his pieces; I just aimed to make it a little bit more controlled. See: mountains, rocks).



I forgot to take in-progress screenshots until I was about 98% finished, but my process wasn't much different from the original. I did a sketch in ink, scanned it in, went over it with the tablet, made the colorful lines in Illustrator and brought them over, then lots of mask work to finish up. I decided that I wanted the illusion of shadows on the mountains to be made up of line work that somewhat mimics Arabic writing (might have even slipped a phrase or two in there!). Maybe a bit cheesy but ehh.
I do like that it's a bit ironic in that the colors are warm and light and happy, but the content is sad and harsh.

Might go back and make the kid's clothes a different color. Might also make the AK-47 a different color than the kid.


Mr. Babcock, if you read this, I know it has nothing to do with this particular project but:
Sometimes if I exit out of Photoshop and come back, my brush tool goes from "precise" tip (I think) to crosshairs for no apparent reason, and then I'll go to preferences and try to change it back but no changes are ever made. Do you know why this happens and how I can fix it?

3 comments:

  1. The brush change usually happens when your caps lock key is on.
    I think you have some nice things going on in this piece. You have started to play around more with the line pattern like in the sky. I think that could be pushed even more. Like it could be a radiating line pattern. You could also produce an Illustrator pattern of the scribbles that would fill the hills. The more regular line patterns could then be more of a contrast with the informal sketch-book like lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It also interesting that you chose not to do the edge burn that was on the original. It is the same effect that is on your new master study too. Perhaps I should show a quick demo on how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That'd be awesome, and I agree, I think some of the lines could be a lot more effective had I done them in Illustrator. They'd be a lot easier to edit too, if need be. Sometimes I just get in the zone with whatever program I'm using and completely forget to think other options :-/

    ReplyDelete