Tuesday, May 11, 2010

post numero uno


Hello all. I'm really excited to be taking this course. I feel like I'm going to learn a lot from such a diverse group of talented classmates. There are a couple of directions I want to go in personally this summer -- I feel like vector art is where I'm lacking the most, but I'd also really like to improve on pieces that include both vector elements from Illustrator and tex
tural, raster-based images from Photoshop. I mean, yeah, anyone can slap a smart object into a Photoshop doc., or vice versa, but doing it effectively so as to create a great piece of work is where I'd like to improve. I'd also like to improve in the way of typographical elements. Since my major is Graphic Design, I feel like I definitely need to spend some time in that area this summer.

Having said that, I'll no
w dump a few images from some illustrators and designers I really like. They all possess different skills and elements I'd really like to learn from this semester.


Olaf Hajek
:

(I actually recently added this guy on facebook and we had a nice chat - really cool guy).
I really like the use of texture and color in all of his pieces.
For a closer look, go
here.



Mario Hugo:
This guy does a lot with letters and words. I feel like I could learn a lot typographically from him. He also does some really great vector/line work. I also just like the overall, general vibe I get from him. A lot of his work is pretty dark and that's the direction I sometimes tend to lean toward.
For a closer look, go here.



Oliver Weiss:
Weiss is probably the most diverse of the three. He does anything from spot illustrations to comics to photoshop collages, you name it. I really like some of the vector work he does, and then he's able to incorporate halftone dots among other textures without letting his work get too cheesy or cliche.
For a closer look, go here.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see your posts!
    The first two artist look like they are mostly hand-done works. Don't forget that a lot of good digital work starts with real materials. Just remember to produce parts separately and then scan them in to juxtapose and merge them together. As a graphic designer don't forget to look at more typograhical works particularly posters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica! Didn't know you were going to take this class too! Yet another thing in common... I look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete